Don’t invest unless you’re prepared to lose all the money you invest. This is a high-risk investment.
You are unlikely to be protected if something goes wrong. Click here for further information.
Estimated reading time: 2 min
Due to the potential for losses, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) considers this investment to be high risk. What are the key risks?
- You could lose all the money you invest
- Most investments are shares in start-up businesses or bonds issued by them. Investors in these shares or bonds often lose 100% of the money they invested, as most start-up businesses fail.
- Certain of these investments can be held in an Innovative Finance ISA (IFISA). An IFISA does not reduce the risk of the investment or protect you from losses, so you can still lose all your money. It only means that any potential returns will be tax free.
- Checks on the businesses you are investing in, such as how well they are expected to perform, may not have been carried out by the platform you are investing through. You should do your own research before investing.
- You won’t get your money back quickly
- Even if the business you invest in is successful, it will likely take several years to get your money back.
- The most likely way to get your money back is if the business is bought by another business or lists its shares on an exchange such as the London Stock Exchange. These events are not common.
- Start-up businesses very rarely pay you back through dividends. You should not expect to get your money back this way.
- Some platforms may give you the opportunity to sell your investment early through a ‘secondary market’ or ‘bulletin board’, but there is no guarantee you will find a buyer at the price you are willing to sell.
- Don’t put all your eggs in one basket
- Putting all your money into a single business or type of investment for example, is risky. Spreading your money across different investments makes you less dependent on any one to do well. A good rule of thumb is not to invest more than 10% of your money in high-risk investments.
- The value of your investment can be reduced
- If your investment is shares, the percentage of the business that you own will decrease if the business issues more shares. This could mean that the value of your investment reduces, depending on how much the business grows. Most start-up businesses issue multiple rounds of shares.
- These new shares could have additional rights that your shares don’t have, such as the right to receive a fixed dividend, which could further reduce your chances of getting a return on your investment.
- You are unlikely to be protected if something goes wrong
- Protection from the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS), in relation to claims against failed regulated firms, does not cover poor investment performance. Try the FSCS investment protection checker.
Unlocking the power of the investor community to support innovative solutions to society’s greatest challenges.
The Impact First Fund
The Impact First Fund brings positive change to people and planet. It supports high-impact high-growth potential businesses with equity finance tailored to their needs.
Social and Environmental Impact
Investing in mission-led enterprises contributing innovative solutions to society's greatest challenges.
Working with other investment partners to encourage a diverse funding package and efficient due diligence process.
Investee enterprises are selected based on impact and growth credentials.
Investors are expected to be invested in at least eight investee enterprises with a concentration limit of 25%.
Investments will be made into EIS qualifying companies.
Targeting to have investors fully invested in 12-18 months.
The Fund provides equity finance and utilises EIS tax relief. It is suitable for investors who are professional clients and can be classified as high-net-worth, sophisticated, investment professionals or other suitable exemptions. The Fund is also suitable for institutional investors interested in impact investing funds.Find out more
Work with us
The SIS Ventures team is a talented mix of impact investors and traditional investment managers who understand the market opportunity and are compelled to make their investments drive positive impact. Find out more about our vacancies here.Find out more